(BCN) –The Richmond Fire Department has given the all-clear to residents in Shasta Street and Carlson Boulevard area, after Monday’s morning gas leak was stopped. The Richmond Fire HazMat team performed atmospheric air monitoring in the affected area and said at 12:38 p.m. the area is all clear and residents can return to their homes.

The leak was caused by a construction crew in the area accidentally rupturing a natural gas line. PG&E crews were on scene.

The city issued a mandatory evacuation order shortly before noon in the Richmond Annex neighborhood. Evacuated areas included the 1900 block of Carlson Boulevard; the 1800 block of Shasta Street; and the 1800 block of Butte Street.

Residents were sent to a temporary evacuation shelter site at Richmond Fire Training, at 3510 Cutting Blvd.
Copyright © 2023 Bay City News, Inc.