MONTARA (KRON) — A Bay Area elementary school janitor was arrested Thursday on suspicion of committing lewd acts with children, according to the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Department.
An investigation into the alleged crimes began in September when a school resource officer was approached about the allegations, authorities said.
The suspect, 54-year-old Joel Cortez Altamirano, of Half Moon Bay, worked as a janitor at Farallon View Elementary School.
The crimes are alleged to have occurred on school property, during and after school hours.
The man was arrested Thursday on multiple charges of lewd acts with children under 14-years-old. He is being held on $1 million bail at the Maguire Correctional Facility.
Authorities believe there may be more victims — those with information are asked to contact the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Department.
- OAKLAND SUES NFL, RAIDERS OVER ‘ILLEGAL MOVE’ TO LAS VEGAS
- STEPH CURRY SAYS HE DOESN’T BELIEVE MOON LANDING IS REAL
- BAY AREA FAMILY DESPERATELY SEARCHES FOR MISSING STUDENT
- VIDEO: SANTACON PARTIERS TRASH SAN FRANCISCO RESTAURANT
- 9-YEAR-OLD KILLS HERSELF AFTER RACIST TAUNTS, FAMILY SAYS