SAN RAFAEL (KRON) – A woman was arrested on several felony charges after police said she refused to drop two knives while in a standoff with officers.
The incident happened around 5:44 p.m. at an apartment complex in the 200 block of Bayview Street near D Street.
According to police, officers were called to the scene on a welfare check of 51-year-old Sherry Marie Petrakis and to meet with mental health counselors who were also trying to contact her.
Officers approached Petrakis in the parking lot while she was pushing a shopping cart.
Police said when she was approached, she grabbed two fixed-blade knives and began threatening officers and counselors.
Petrakis was convinced to drop the knives after a short standoff and was arrested and taken into custody without incident.
Petrakis was booked into the Marin County Jail for charges including assault with a deadly weapon, threatening a peace officer, and brandishing a weapon.
Latest News Headlines:
- Spare the Air Alert extended through Monday amid smoke from Glass Fire
- Second stimulus checks: Pelosi optimistic sides can agree on new aid package
- NFL legend Joe Montana stops home intruder who tried to kidnap his grandchild
- Poison control officials warn of hand sanitizer that could be mistaken as children’s food pouches
- Napa County family remains hopeful after evacuating home from wildfire