SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) - San Francisco Mayor London Breed on Wednesday announced that Deputy Chief Jeanine Nicholson will serve as the next San Francisco Fire Chief.
Nicholson is a 25-year veteran of the fire department and will be the first LGBT Fire Chief of the San Francisco Fire Department and the second woman to run the department, following Chief Joanne Hayes-White.
“Deputy Chief Nicholson is a dedicated public servant and a tremendous leader and I can think of no better person to serve as our next Fire Chief,” said Mayor Breed. “Her experience and her resiliency have prepared her to lead the men and women who are out there every day protecting our residents, and I am confident she will be ready to lead the Department on day one. I also want to thank Chief Joanne Hayes-White for her service and her support as we go through this transition process.”
Hayes-White announced in October she would be retiring.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area's Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- COLLEGE CHEATING SCANDAL: ACTORS, STANFORD COACH CHARGED
- SUSPECT ARRESTED IN STABBING DEATH OF SAN JOSE MOTHER
- FACEBOOK SAYS SOME QUIZZES WERE GUISE TO HACK YOUR ACCOUNT
- TRUMP SAYS 'AIRPLANES ARE BECOMING FAR TOO COMPLEX TO FLY'
- WATCH: HUNDREDS OF TACOS RAIN DOWN ON VISITORS IN TEXAS