SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) – Steph Curry is working to reward volunteers who have been giving back to the community during these hard times.
Curry shared a video on Thursday saying he teamed up with Rakuten to ‘surprise a deserving few with a little joy of their own.’
Dr. Cesar Cruz is the founder of Homies Empowerment who runs a full pantry out of Oakland. He nominated one of his volunteers, Angelica, to receive a special surprise.
Due to the pandemic, Angelica lost her job but stepped up to give back to the community.
Curry wanted to show his appreciation for Angelica and the Homies Empowerment team:
“First I have a special jersey here, that’s signed, that I wanted to be able to give to you. We would also like to give you a $10,000 check as a token of our appreciation for all that you do.”
In addition, Curry gave Dr. Cruz a new delivery truck to help feed more in need across Oakland after theirs was stolen.
This is all part of a series, ‘A Gift of Joy,’ to thank those impacted by the pandemic across the country.
- 2020 Census likely miscounted these 14 states
- Man who attacked Dave Chappelle charged with attempted murder for unrelated stabbing of roommate
- Senate Democrats say Republicans are ‘plotting’ for national abortion ban
- Grubhub’s ‘free lunch for New York City’ deal goes awry
- Lawmakers question FDA’s response to baby formula shortage