ANTIOCH (KRON) – The teen who was shot and killed after a basketball game at an Antioch high school over the weekend has been identified.
The coroner has identified 16-year-old Johnathan Parker of Antioch as the victim in Friday night’s shooting at Deer Valley High School.
The school district announced Parker’s death on Sunday.
The Antioch Unified School District released the following statement in response to the shooting:
“On Friday night, following a peaceful athletic event, a DVHS student was shot in the parking lot. The student has since passed away from his injuries. Our hearts and sympathies are with the families during this time of unimaginable pain. We, along with the rest of AUSD, denounce this senseless violence and call on the community to come together to address such vicious brutality. Our children must be taught that solving disagreements with violence is not the answer and that there are other ways to resolve our differences that do not result in the unjust and unnecessary killing of our youth. Finally, we ask that everyone in this community and nearby communities, model the love and peace they hope to create.”
- Pool company owner, sons, could face 7 years after 45-minute beating of apologetic admitted burglar
- Johnny Depp-Amber Heard trial live: Kate Moss among rebuttal witnesses for Depp defense
- ‘Easier to get a gun than baby formula,’ says Warriors guard
- Countdown to Indy: Interview with veteran driver Ed Carpenter
- What’s happened with gun laws after other mass shootings?