Warning: Video contains graphic material
VALLEJO, Calif. (KRON) — The Vallejo Police Department has released video from the officer-involved shooting that left 22-year-old Sean Monterrosa dead.
The video includes body-camera footage of the officers involved in the June 2 incident, audio from the 911 call and footage from the Walgreens security camera.
Police responded to Walgreens on the 1000 block of Redwood Street in Vallejo following reports of possible looting. When they arrived — two cars took off, one of the vehicles striking a police cruiser.
An officer, who was sitting in his police cruiser, shot Monterrosa after mistaking a hammer in his pocket for a gun, Vallejo police chief Shawny Williams said.
Monterrosa was on his knees with his hands raised when he was killed.
The incident has since raised questions and sparked outrage throughout the community.
The name of the officer who shot Monterrosa is not being released by the department due to legal reasons. But Williams says the officer is an 18-year veteran officer.
Latest News Headlines:
- With new California border crossing in the works, connecting highway also takes shape
- Parts of Meadowood Resort destroyed in Glass Fire
- 3 earthquakes recorded near San Jose within an hour
- What time is the debate? What to know before Trump and Biden take the stage
- Senior living community in Oakmont saved from Glass Fire