A vigil will be held Monday night so Washington High School students can get together to mourn the loss of their fellow classmate, 17-year-old Armando Canales.
The teen was hit and killed by a suspected drunk driver on Highway 17 in Santa Clara County.
It happened just south of Redwood Estates.
Officials say Canales was riding in a Toyota Corolla with four other teens a little after 2 a.m. early Sunday when a Chrysler minivan traveling in the wrong direction slammed into their car.
Five other teens ranging in age from 16 to 17-years-old were injured.
Police later arrested the driver of the minivan, 28-year-old Ashley Marie Oliver of San Jose, on suspicion of DUI.
Friends of Canales have set up a GoFundMe in support of the family to help his mom pay for a funeral.
So far, that GoFundMe page has raised nearly $7,000.
The vigil will be held at 8 p.m. at Washington High School.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- NO JAIL FOR MOM WHO TRIED TO DROWN BABY IN MCDONALD’S TOILET
- VIDEO: NORCAL POLICE RELEASE VIDEO OF OFFICER SLAMMING WOMAN
- SF DOCTOR ACCUSED OF ISSUING FAKE VACCINE EXEMPTIONS FOR KIDS
- SONOMA COUPLE TO PAY NEARLY $600K FOR UPROOTING TREE
- POLICE INVESTIGATE 3RD THREAT AT SAN RAMON’S CAL HIGH