OAKLAND (KRON) — TV star and Oakland native Zendaya returned to her hometown on Monday.
The former Disney star visited Global Family Elementary School to hand out school supplies with Yoobi.
The company gave every classroom a box of pens, markers, glue sticks, scissors and other classroom necessities.
What seemed like an average assembly soon became anything but average after Zendaya surprised the 5th graders.
“I want to be, when I grow up, I want to be someone who’s kind, and I want to be someone who inspires and always gives back,” she said.
The actress and model sat with some of the kids and colored with them, along with hugging and providing lots of autographs.
Zendaya’s mother taught at Fruitvale Elementary School in Oakland.
- All lanes open after crash on Westbound I-80 snarls Bay Bridge traffic
- Idaho college killings: Roommates of slain students break their silence
- ‘Charlie Brown Christmas’ tunes still a holiday tradition after 57 years
- San Francisco house fire Sunday night displaces four residents
- Downed tree halts BART service between 24th Street Mission and Daly City