(WFLA) – A bill making its way through the Texas legislature would permit food stamp recipients from using their benefits on certain foods, News 4 San Antonio reported.
State Rep. Briscoe Cain, R-Baytown, proposed a rule that would ban food stamp use on energy drinks and any beverages containing at least 54 milligrams of caffeine per 8 fluid ounces. Coffee is exempt from this list.
The proposal, H.B. No. 4364, would also ban people from using food stamps to buy some potato or corn chips, cookies and candies.
Households would still be able to use SNAP benefits on fruit and vegetable juices.
To read the bill in its entirety, click here.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- NOTORIOUS CA KILLER ACCUSED OF BEHEADING, TORTURING CELLMATE
- U.S. OFFICIALS: ARMY VET’S PLAN TO BOMB NAZI RALLY IN SOCAL FOILED
- BUS DRIVER WHO PLEADED GUILTY TO RAPE OF GIRL GETS NO JAIL TIME
- VIDEO: KILLER WHALES ATTACK GRAY WHALE CALF IN MONTEREY BAY
- WATCH: GIRL HIDES TO AVOID CAR FOLLOWING HER IN VACAVILLE