A California death row inmate who murdered and mutilated a 5-month-old girl nearly 40 years ago died on Thursday of natural causes.
Authorities say Brett Pensinger, an inmate at San Quentin State Prison, died at 9:56 p.m. at an outside hospital.
Pensinger, 56, was sentenced to death in San Bernardino County in September 1982 for the kidnapping and murder of 5-month-old Michelle Melander.
In 1981, the then 19-year-old Pensinger kidnapped the girl and her brother Michael after drinking with their parents at an Arizona bar.
Pensinger dropped Melander’s brother off unharmed, but the infant was found murdered and mutilated.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- NOTORIOUS CA KILLER ACCUSED OF BEHEADING, TORTURING CELLMATE
- U.S. OFFICIALS: ARMY VET’S PLAN TO BOMB NAZI RALLY IN SOCAL FOILED
- BUS DRIVER WHO PLEADED GUILTY TO RAPE OF GIRL GETS NO JAIL TIME
- VIDEO: KILLER WHALES ATTACK GRAY WHALE CALF IN MONTEREY BAY
- WATCH: GIRL HIDES TO AVOID CAR FOLLOWING HER IN VACAVILLE