(BCN) – David William Lutz, a 33-year-old captain with the CalFire San Mateo-Santa Cruz Unit died Wednesday in an off-duty hiking accident at Pfeiffer Burns State Park near Big Sur, CalFire and Firefighters Local 2881 said on Saturday.
Lutz, a native of Los Gatos and raised in Corralitos, just north of Watsonville, attended the Monterey Fire Academy and began his career as a volunteer firefighter with the Corralitos CAL FIRE station.
David began his career in 2008 as a Firefighter I in the San Mateo-Santa Cruz Unit.
He most recently was stationed at the El Granada Station within the Half Moon Bay-based Coastside Fire Protection District.
Lutz is survived by his wife Tisha Lutz, a stepdaughter, two young children and another on the way; parents Michael and Mary Anne Lutz, and eight siblings.
A GoFundMe page was created to raise money for the memorial.
Copyright © 2020 by Bay City News, Inc.
- Oakland gears up for Fourth of July with road closures, fire safety measures
- Officials: At least 4 fires started by fireworks in Contra Costa County
- Crews respond to plane crash at Petaluma Airport
- Missing woman reported in San Mateo County now found
- Sheriff: Man arrested for series of burglaries in Napa County