California sues over $1B in canceled high-speed rail money

California
California sues over $1B in canceled high-speed rail money

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – California has sued to block the administration of President Donald Trump from cancelling nearly $1 billion for the state’s high-speed rail project.

The lawsuit filed Tuesday comes after the administration revoked the funding last week.

Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom has called the move illegal and says it’s political retribution for California’s resistance to Trump’s immigration policies.

The state also plans to file for a temporary restraining order blocking the administration from awarding the money to another project.

The $929 million comes with the requirement that California complete a 119-mile segment of track in the state’s Central Valley agricultural heartland and environmental work on the entire line by 2022.

The Federal Railroad Administration says California can’t meet that deadline.

The state ultimately hopes to link Los Angeles and San Francisco.

For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.

Click here to subscribe for a free 7-day trial

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

>>MORE STORIES 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

More News