THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. (AP) – The anniversary of a mass shooting at a Southern California country-western bar is being marked by the dedication of a memorial called The Healing Garden.
Events begin Thursday in the city of Thousand Oaks with a private ceremony for families of the dead, followed by a ceremony for survivors and then the public opening.
Late on the night of Nov. 7, 2018, a gunman entered the Borderline Bar & Grill and killed 11 people.
A Ventura County sheriff’s sergeant who responded was accidentally fatally shot by a California Highway Patrol officer during the ensuing gunbattle.
The gunman killed himself.
The Healing Garden in Conejo Creek North Park surrounds a pond that has a fountain with 12 vertical water jets. There are also 12 granite slab benches.
Latest News Headlines:
- Napa County establishes coronavirus task force to help enforce public health orders
- Officials encourage Bay Area residents to stay home ahead of 4th of July
- Fireworks cause of at least 1 fire as crews respond to multiple fires in Contra Costa County
- Trump announces creation of new park with statues of ‘greatest Americans to ever live’
- 8-year-old killed, 3 injured in shooting at Alabama mall