SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – A firefighter has been killed and another injured battling a wildfire in a Northern California forest.
The U.S. Forest Service says it happened Monday in Mendocino National Forest north of San Francisco, where a wildfire that started on Aug. 17 was 20% contained.
No other details were immediately available.
The blaze began as 37 separate fires but many have either been contained or merged. California wildfires have now claimed at least eight lives.
Many continue to burn. The two largest fires, east and north of San Francisco Bay, are each about 65% surrounded.
- San Mateo Co. health officer revises quarantine, isolation guidelines
- Armenia, Azerbaijan vow to avoid targeting residential areas
- Louisville police officer files lawsuit against Breonna Taylor’s boyfriend
- Chase Center to serve as ballot dropoff location this weekend
- Megan Rapinoe, Sue Bird announce engagement on social media