SACRAMENTO (AP) - Governor Gavin Newsom on Monday announced the appointment of a pediatrician as California’s first-ever surgeon general.
Newsom said in a news release that Dr. Nadine Burke Harris will focus on combating the root causes of serious health conditions and use her office to reach young families across the state.
Burke Harris is founder and chief executive of the Center for Youth Wellness in San Francisco, which aims to improve the health of children exposed to toxic stress and trauma early in life.
Her annual salary will be $200,000. She is a Democrat.
- MAYOR BREED REPSONDS TO TRUMP CALLING SAN FRANCISCO 'DISGUSTING'
- TEEN SEEN IN CONFRONTATION WITH NATIVE AMERICAN ELDER RESPONDS
- TODDLER DIES AFTER PHYSICAL, SEXUAL ABUSE IN 'HORRIFIC' CASE
- REAL ESTATE AGENT FATALLY SHOT WHILE TRYING TO EVICT TENANTS
- BOO, 'WORLD'S CUTEST DOG,' DEAD AT 12
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Police: Corona Costco shooting took place after man hit officer
- Memorial unveiled in Los Gatos honoring veterans, fallen heroes
- Firefighters busy as fire season gets early start
- Massive fire in Boston injures 7 firefighters, 2 residents