FAIRFIELD, Calif. (KTXL) — Fairfield police said they arrested a man wanted on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter after he returned to the scene. Police identified him as 32-year-old Cirilo Martinez Tellez.
According to police, Tellez was driving near a residential area on Sunday when he fatally struck a 2-year-old child. The boy, who police say is the man’s nephew, was taken to a hospital but died from his injuries.
Police said it happened on West Texas Street near First Street and that Tellez had fled the scene around 2 p.m. Tellez returned to the scene four hours later and was arrested by police. According to investigators, alcohol may have been a factor.
Tellez was booked into the Solano County Jail on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run.
- US lawmakers introduce bill that would give billions to schools, libraries for internet access
- NHL adopts 24-team playoff format if it can resume season
- Woman fired after backlash from racist park confrontation
- Bay Area high school students launch online jewelry store; money raised to be donated to local medical center
- Nexstar California stations host virtual COVID-19 Town Hall with local leaders