LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles mayor has imposed a curfew for the city’s downtown section. Mayor Eric Garcetti said everyone must be off the streets between 8 p.m. and 5:30 a.m.
Several police cars were torched Saturday as some protesters in the city ignored authorities’ call for peaceful demonstrations after a night of violence that saw windows smashed, stores robbed and fires set.
The mostly peaceful gathering near a popular outdoor mall devolved Saturday afternoon.
Protesters set fire to Los Angeles Police Department cars, broke windows and climbed on top of a bus. Police used flash-bang grenades to disperse protesters.
- BLM mural painted in downtown Oakland featuring recent graduate
- California bans singing in places of worship amid pandemic
- San Francisco police search for two stolen dogs
- Man shoots and kills dog for ‘barking excessively’
- FL Sheriff: I’ll deputize gun owners if violent protests erupt