SANTA BARBARA, Calif. (AP) – The Coast Guard says a shark reportedly bit a surfer off the coast of Southern California.
The 37-year-old man is in stable condition after the attack near Santa Rosa Island on Saturday afternoon.
A friend aboard a nearby boat applied a tourniquet to the man’s leg and called the Coast Guard for help.
A helicopter crew flew the surfer to the Santa Barbara airport for treatment.
Coast Guard video footage shows the man, wearing a full-body wetsuit, being hoisted up from the boat into the helicopter.
Latest News Headlines:
- 150 million rapid COVID-19 tests to be distributed to all U.S. states
- Man steals puppy from couple at knifepoint in Arby’s parking lot
- More products added to FDA hand sanitizer recall list
- Another federal judge orders stop to Postal Service cuts
- A mission to preserve Mexican Folkloric Dance