LAKE TAHOE (KRON) — The Sierra is seeing a lot of snow this Memorial Day Weekend, but according to a spokesperson for Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, the late-season snowfall is not unprecedented.
Alex Spychalsky, spokesperson for the ski resort, says this year is its third snowiest season on record — with 719 inches in 2019.
Spychalsky says the conditions this weekend have been great, but still surprising.
According to the National Weather Service, the average last day of snow for the area is May 8 with the latest snow on record falling on June 16, 1995.
“It was definitely a very busy memorial day weekend for us. We expect a lot of visitors for us around this time,” Spychalsky said.
Because of the amount of snow, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows is staying open through Fourth of July.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- WOMAN SENTENCED TO 17 YEARS FOR RAPE OF 5-MONTH-OLD GIRL
- BILL GIVING CALIFORNIA WORKERS FULL PAY FOR FAMILY LEAVE ADVANCES
- MISSING MAUI HIKER FOUND ALIVE AFTER 16 DAYS IN FOREST
- SMALL TREMORS ALONG WEST COAST COULD LEAD TO ‘BIG ONE’
- VICTIM KILLED IN HAWAII SHARK ATTACK WAS FROM GRANITE BAY