RENO (KRON) — It may be the middle of May, but the National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for the northern Sierra Nevada.
The National Weather Service says more than a foot of snow is possible by Thursday morning in the mountains west of Lake Tahoe.
Travel will be impacted tonight into Thursday morning, according to the National Weather Service.
Officials say that’s when light snow is possible.
There’s a 90% chance for areas above 7500 feet, and a 60% chance for areas between 6500 feet and 7500 feet.
From Thursday night into Friday morning and again from Saturday night into Sunday morning, all passes are expected to receive several inches of snow.
The weather pattern is more typical of early March, but the service says May snowfall isn’t that unusual.
Over the past century, snow has been recorded at Lake Tahoe in May about half the time
The average last date of snow was May 8.
Officials said since roads are warm this time of year, accumulation will be limited.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- MAN ARRESTED IN MOUNTAIN VIEW FOR RAPE OF GIRL HE MET ONLINE
- CONCORD BOWLING ALLEY TARGETED IN ARMED ROBBERY
- FAMILY REMEMBERS FREMONT TEEN KILLED BY SUSPECTED DRUNK DRIVER
- YOUTH CHURCH LEADER ARRESTED IN SARATOGA FOR CHILD PORN
- POSSIBLE WATERFRONT BALLPARK DEAL FOR OAKLAND A’S APPROVED