TRUCKEE (KRON) — Don’t drive through the Sierra this weekend – that’s what officials are telling travelers.
A winter storm is expected to hit Lake Tahoe Friday through Sunday.
The best days to travel into and out of the mountains will be Thursday and Monday.
If you must travel on Friday, try to make it by 4 p.m., officials warn.
Heavy snow and gusty winds are anticipated across much of the Sierra, according to the National Weather Service.
The heaviest of snow will fall Friday evening into early Sunday.
If you have to drive trough the mountains during the storm, be prepared.
Expect delays and chain control requirements. Also, pack an emergency kit that includes things like as water and blankets. If you cannot see due to blowing snow, pull over.
LATEST NEWS HEADLINES:
- Fans ready for Packers-49ers NFC Championship game
- San Francisco residents concerned after needles found near navigation center
- 1 pedestrian killed following 4-car collision on I-280 in San Francisco
- George Kittle: From fifth-round pick to Pro Bowler
- ICE ups ante in standoff with NYC: ‘This is not a request’