LAKE TAHOE (KRON) – The National Weather Service has issued an urgent winter message Thursday, warning of hazardous Sierra travel conditions starting Friday afternoon through Saturday night.
NWS officials said a weather system will bring snow to the Sierra during this time, with snow becoming moderate Friday night through early Saturday for elevations above 6,500 feet.
Snow showers will continue through Saturday, with levels falling to around 4,000 feet Saturday night and additional snow possible.
Snow combined with gusty winds could create difficult travel conditions for those planning to cross over the Sierra passes.
Officials said if you do plan on traveling, carry chains and expect major delays.
The Winter Weather Advisory is in effect from noon Friday to 4 p.m. Sunday.
Friday night’s commute will also be impacted, with total snow accumulations of 6 to 10 inches and localized amounts up to 15 inches expected.
Latest News Headlines:
- Dr. Phil gets star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Flying Tails: Abused Kuwait cats rescued, brought to Bay Area
- Questions from Nia Wilson murder trial jury reveal what jurors are wondering
- Greyhound to stop allowing immigration checks on buses
- Boy leaves puppy at shelter to protect it from abusive father