DALLAS (AP) – A white former Dallas police officer has been found guilty of murder in the fatal shooting of her unarmed, black neighbor in his apartment.
A jury convicted Amber Guyger Tuesday in the killing of Botham Jean in September 2018.
Guyger was off-duty but still in uniform after a long shift when she shot the 26-year-old accountant from the Caribbean nation of St. Lucia.
At trial, Guyger apologized for killing Jean and said she feared for her life upon finding the door unlocked of what she thought was her apartment.
Guyger’s lawyers called the shooting a “tragic, but innocent” mistake.
Prosecutors questioned how Guyger missed numerous signs that she was at the wrong apartment.
Jean was unarmed and had been eating ice cream before Guyger entered his apartment.
Latest News Headlines:
- Study: Cheaper, faster COVID-19 testing underway in San Francisco
- NFL makes history with all-Black officiating crew for MNF
- Hampton Roads native looking toward Tokyo Olympics; focusing on mental game during pandemic
- 49ers player tests positive for coronavirus: report
- Warriors welcome new guard, Brad Wanamaker