Family of Stephon Clark awaiting attorney general’s report on shooting

News

SACRAMENTO (KRON) — “We should be ready very, very soon.”

All eyes are on the state attorney general as he prepares his conclusion in the shooting death of Stephon Clark.

Although officers mistook his cellphone for a gun, Sacramento’s District Attorney says she won’t charge them. She claims clark was suicidal, on several drugs, in a shooting stance and advancing toward officers when he was shot to death last year.

After the announcement, Clark’s mother called on the attorney general.

“I’m praying that the attorney general will pick up where she failed,” said Se’Quette Clark.

Attorney General Xavier Becerra says he understands what Clark is saying.

“I get it, I understand how important this is, to the family more than anyone else but to the folks who feel like this is not something new.”

The city IS on edge after the DA’s decision.

Downtown, crews put up a fence around the Golden 1 Center and surrounding shops ahead of Monday’s Sacramento Kings game.

A security guard told KRON4 the fence was put up here primarily to prevent what happened here last year when protestors blocked the entrance to the arena.

The attorney general not commenting on the DA’s report.

“I don’t think it’s appropriate for me to start talking about some of those things before we issue the results of the criminal investigation,” the attorney general said.

Clark’s family attorney says those results are expected March 18.

WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:

>>MORE STORIES

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News

More News