LIMA, Peru (AP) — Officials say former Peruvian President Alan García is dead after shooting himself in the head as police came to detain him in connection with a corruption probe.
Current President Martinez Vizcarra said the 69-year-old head of state died Wednesday after undergoing emergency surgery at the José Casimiro Ulloa Hospital in Peru’s capital.
Garcia was a populist firebrand who twice ruled Peru and more recently was under investigation related to Latin America’s largest graft probe.
Prosecutors said they believed the former president received more than $100,000 from Odebrecht, disguised as a payment to speak at a conference in Brazil.
Garcia professed his innocence and said he was being targeted politically.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- FIRST IMAGES INSIDE NOTRE DAME SHOW DAMAGE AFTER FIRE
- BAY AREA REACTS TO DEVASTATING FIRE AT NOTRE DAME
- NOOSE FOUND AT CHASE CENTER CONSTRUCTION SITE
- BICYCLIST SERIOUSLY INJURED IN BERKELEY HIT-AND-RUN
- VIDEO: OAKLAND PD CRACKING DOWN ON SIDESHOWS