FRESNO, California (KRON/KSEE) — Fresno is trying to take Gilroy’s garlic crown.
The first ever garlic festival is coming to Fresno next week.
The free, public festival will be held at River Park, Tuesday May 21.
All sorts of garlic based foods will be available to sample, including ice cream.
There’s also going to be garlic jugglers and contests.
Sound familiar? Gilroy has hosted a garlic festival since 1979.
According to VisitGilroy.com, the festival is recognized by Guinness World Records as the World’s Largest Garlic Festival.
But Peter DeYoung, the executive director of California Fresh and founder River Park Farmers Market, is gunning for Gilroy’s garlic crown,
“A lot of people think ‘Oh wait, don’t we have a garlic festival in Gilroy. And the answer is yes. But they aren’t the garlic capital of the world. Fresno County is actually is the garlic capital of the world, so it’s our turn to take the crown back,” DeYoung said.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- MAN ARRESTED IN MOUNTAIN VIEW FOR RAPE OF GIRL HE MET ONLINE
- CONCORD BOWLING ALLEY TARGETED IN ARMED ROBBERY
- FAMILY REMEMBERS FREMONT TEEN KILLED BY SUSPECTED DRUNK DRIVER
- YOUTH CHURCH LEADER ARRESTED IN SARATOGA FOR CHILD PORN
- POSSIBLE WATERFRONT BALLPARK DEAL FOR OAKLAND A’S APPROVED