Donors are encouraged to give at any of Vitalant’s six Bay Area donation centers on Feb. 20. All donors who give on Wednesday will receive a special KRON 4 Blood Drive for Life T-shirt as a thank you.
Vitalent was Formally Blood Centers of the Pacific.
Started in 1941 as the nation’s first community nonprofit blood bank and there are 6 donation centers in the Bay Area:
- San Francisco
- 270 Masonic at Turk
- Downtown S.F. at 250 Bush Street
- San Mateo at 48 2nd Avenue – this is a new location in Downtown San Mateo. It will have just opened on February 7. It used to be in Millbrae
- Fairfield – 1325 Gateway Boulevard
- Napa – 3230 Beard Road
- Santa Rosa – 3505 Industrial Drive
Vitalent holds over 100 mobile blood drives in the community making it easy and convenient to give,
Blood helps trauma and burn patients, premature infants, heart surgery patients, organ transplant recipients and those fighting and surviving cancer (the #1 recipient of donated blood). Vitalant needs to collect at least 500 units of blood each day to meet the needs of patients.
How to help?
Please schedule an appointment to donate today. Visit www.vitalant.com or call 877-258-4825.
- Weigh at least 110 pounds.
- Be in good general health.
- For your safety and to ensure a positive donation experience, make sure you eat within two hours ahead of your donation. Drink plenty of water that day and 24 to 48 hours beforehand. * Bring your ID—something with your name and one of the following: date of birth, donor ID number or your photo.
Blood Donation Process
- It takes about an hour—from the time you arrive to the time you leave—to complete a whole blood donation. The actual donation time is only about 10 minutes. Whole blood donation is most often given by new donors and is the most common type of donation.
- Eat a healthy, low-fat meal within two hours ahead of your donation. The day before, eat a salty snack. When you donate blood, you lose about a gram of salt. Replacing it ahead of time helps keep your blood pressure normal.
- Hydrate by drinking 8 to 16 ounces of non-caffeinated, non-alcoholic beverages one hour before you donate. Water is a great choice.
- Avoid or limit caffeinated sodas, coffee, iced tea and energy drinks on the day of donation.
- SAUSALITO MUDSLIDE DESTOYS HOME, INJURES WOMAN
- HERO LYFT DRIVER RESCUES TODDLER FOUND WANDERING SANTA ROSA
- WATCH: AC TRANSIT BUS DRIVES THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAY
- PHOTOS: POWERFUL STORM CAUSES WIDESPREAD DAMAGE IN BAY AREA
- INTERACTIVE RADAR: TRACK THE RAIN ACROSS THE BAY AREA