A Louisiana teacher was arrested on Tuesday for allegedly raping a 10-year-old student.
According to the American Press, an administrator at Lake Charles Charter Academy notified authorities about a possible inappropriate relationship between Deidre R. Smith and one of her students.
Academy President Gene Thibodeaux said the student reported the behavior to another teacher and then administration notified authorities.
“We are fully cooperating with law enforcement to assure a thorough investigation is completed,” he said.
An investigation by Calcasieu Parish Sheriff’s Office revealed that Smith, 34, had been having inappropriate contact with the boy since the end of 2018. Authorities also determined that she had had sex with the victim.
Smith was booked into the Calcasieu Correctional Center on charges of first-degree rape and felony indecent behavior with a juvenile.
She was later released on a $50,000 bond and the school placed her on unpaid administrative leave.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- NOTORIOUS CA KILLER ACCUSED OF BEHEADING, TORTURING CELLMATE
- U.S. OFFICIALS: ARMY VET’S PLAN TO BOMB NAZI RALLY IN SOCAL FOILED
- BUS DRIVER WHO PLEADED GUILTY TO RAPE OF GIRL GETS NO JAIL TIME
- VIDEO: KILLER WHALES ATTACK GRAY WHALE CALF IN MONTEREY BAY
- WATCH: GIRL HIDES TO AVOID CAR FOLLOWING HER IN VACAVILLE