Almost 100,000 lbs of ground beef is being recalled over concerns it might be contaminated with E. coli.
On Nov. 15, USDA inspectors visited Swift Beef Company in Utah after a ground beef sample tested positive for E. coli.
USDA inspectors (FSIS) confirmed that Swift Beef Company was the sole source supplier for the ground beef products.
Swift Beef Co. is recalling approximately 99,260 pounds of raw non-intact ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7 (See labels here).
- 2,000 lb. – bulk pallets of Swift Ground Beef 81/19 (81% lean) Fine Grind Combo bearing product code 42982.
- 8-10 lb. – plastic wrapped chubs of “blue ribbon BEEF” Ground Beef 81/19 (81% lean) Coarse Grind bearing product code 42410.
- 8-10 lb. – plastic wrapped chubs of “blue ribbon BEEF” Ground Beef 93/07 (93% lean) Coarse Grind bearing product code 42413.
- 8-10 lb. – plastic wrapped chubs of “blue ribbon BEEF” Ground Beef 85/15 (85% lean) Coarse Grind bearing product code 42415.
- 8-10 lb. – plastic wrapped chubs of “blue ribbon BEEF” Ground Beef 73/27 (73% lean) Coarse Grind bearing product code 42510.
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. 628” inside the USDA mark of inspection.
These items were shipped to retail distributors for further processing and food service distributors for institutional use in locations in California, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.
Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
E. coli O157:H7 is a potentially deadly bacterium that can cause dehydration, bloody diarrhea and abdominal cramps 2–8 days (3–4 days, on average) after exposure the organism. While most people recover within a week, some develop a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome (HUS).
This condition can occur among persons of any age but is most common in children under 5-years old and older adults. It is marked by easy bruising, pallor, and decreased urine output. Persons who experience these symptoms should seek emergency medical care immediately.
Consumers may call the JBS USA Consumer Hotline at (800) 727-2333.
- BODY FOUND OF 49ERS FAN WHO WENT MISSING DURING GAME
- HOW TO DETOX AFTER WILDFIRE SMOKE EXPOSURE
- MAP SHOWS HOMES DAMAGED, DESTROYED IN CAMP FIRE
- FRANTIC SEARCH GOES ON FOR MISSING AFTER CAMP FIRE