LAKE WALES, Fla. (WFLA) – The Polk County Sheriff’s Office Homicide Unit is investigating after a 16-year-old boy reportedly beat a 15-year-old boy to death with a baseball bat Monday afternoon.
The death occurred on Caloosa Boulevard, cross street Lake Boulevard.
According to Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd, Dylan Murray, 16, and Giovanni Diaz, 15, went into the woods, presumably to play.
Judd said that’s where Murray beat Diaz with the bat.
Murray allegedly told a witness what he had done and went home and called 911.
The witness found Diaz dead.
Murray told a deputy “he whaled on” Diaz with the bat, and referred to him as a friend.
Judd said Murray has three previous battery charges, two of which were on the victim.
Judd said they do not yet know why Murray killed the other boy and have no further details.
- ‘ATMOSPHERIC RIVER’ TAKING AIM AT CALIFORNIA
- WOMAN STRUCK, KILLED BY SELF-DRIVING UBER VEHICLE
- ARRESTS MADE AFTER MOB STEALS $48K OF HANDBAGS IN SF
- SHACKLED CHILDREN NOW HAPPY AND SKYPING
- BODY OF MISSING US STUDENT FOUND IN BERMUDA