JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) – A tornado has caused heavy damage in Missouri’s capital city as severe weather swept across the state overnight, causing three deaths and trapping dozens of people in the wreckage of their homes.
The National Weather Service confirmed that the large and destructive tornado moved over Jefferson City shortly before midnight on Wednesday.
Gov. Mike Parson said three people died. Missouri Public Safety said they were killed in the Golden City area of Barton County.
The governor is praising first responders who have worked through the night to free people from homes that have been ripped apart in the storm.
Jefferson City Police Lt. David Williams says no deaths were reported in the capital, but 20 people have been rescued by emergency personnel.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- ELDERLY WOMAN KIDNAPPED, REPEATEDLY RAPED IN SAN FRANCISCO
- 6 ARRESTED IN DEADLY STABBING AT SAN JOSE DOLLAR TREE
- DISMEMBERED BODY FOUND IN SAN FRANCISCO HOME
- GOT A REAL ID? YOU MAY NEED TO VISIT DMV AGAIN
- NOTORIOUS KILLER’S MOM ASKS WHY HER SON WAS GIVEN A CELLMATE