TUCSON, Ariz. (KRON) – Three mountain lions who had eaten human remains close to a popular hiking trail were killed.
According to the Pima County Sheriff’s Department, the mountain lions were killed overnight after the human remains were discovered Tuesday during an investigation at Pima Canyon Trail.
Arizona Game and Fish Department officials say the mountain lions are not suspected of killing the victim, and an investigation is ongoing to determine what exactly happened out on the trail.
An autopsy for the victim is scheduled for next week.
Game and Fish Department Regional Supervisor Raul Vega told KGUN that mountain lions eating human remains is abnormal behavior and “those that do are more likely to attack a human being in the future.”
Officials said the mountain lions’ remains are being preserved as possible evidence in the death investigation.
- Palo Alto couple missing since Valentine’s Day found alive
- Woman believes cold case suspect abducted her in 1989
- Search for missing Palo Alto couple now recovery mission
- American women seek more than $66M in damages from US Soccer
- Democrats face an important test in Nevada caucuses