(CNN) – An autopsy performed on Jeffrey Epstein showed he “sustained multiple breaks in his neck bones,” The Washington Post reported Wednesday.
Those familiar with the autopsy told the newspaper the broken bones included the hyoid bone, which is near the Adam’s apple.
Forensic experts told the Post this kind of break can happen when a person hangs themselves or dies by strangulation.
Epstein was placed on suicide watch last month after an incident in the jail.
He was taken off suicide watch in late July after he was given daily psychological assessments.
Two prison staff members who were guarding the unit where Epstein died failed to check on him for about three hours the night he died, according to the New York Times.
Latest News Headlines:
- Novato police seek public’s help to find missing 11-year-old
- Take the confusion out of food labels
- Palo Alto couple missing since Valentine’s Day found alive
- Woman believes cold case suspect abducted her in 1989
- Search for missing Palo Alto couple now recovery mission