MICHOACAN, Mexico (CNN) — A heartbreaking sacrifice for a boy — who decided leave his puppy at a shelter to shield it from his abusive father.
The 12-year-old boy named Andres dropped the pitbull puppy off at a Mexican shelter with a note and toy earlier this month.
In the letter — he described an abusive father who kicked the dog hard enough to injure it.
He goes on to write that he left a toy for the dog so it won’t forget him.
The rescue group posted the story on its Facebook page.
It didn’t take long for hundreds of adoption requests to pour in for the pup named Rene.
He’s still getting medical treatment — but will be looking for a forever home soon.
Meanwhile — the rescue group wants to help the other dogs in its shelter find homes too.
Latest News Headlines:
- Rising from sick beds, COVID medics head back to front lines
- New learning program helps parents, students with new norm of classwork at home
- Contra Costa County man shops, delivers groceries to neighbors to assist with crisis
- Santa Rosa police warn enforcement action if people don’t follow stay-at-home orders
- Antioch students receive laptops, lunches during coronavirus pandemic