BOSTON (WPRI) — Police are investigating after a statue of Christopher Columbus was beheaded in Boston overnight.
The statue is located at Christopher Columbus Park right on Boston Harbor.
The statue has been defaced twice before in recent memory.
In 2015, the statue was covered in fake blood and had the phrase “Black Lives Matter” spray-painted on its base. In 2006, the head was stolen off the statue and was missing for about a week before it was recovered and repaired.
There has been no word on any arrests in the most recent incident.
During protests over the past few days, statues of figures connected to slavery have been toppled and vandalized around the world.
- 9th Circuit ends California ban on high-capacity magazines
- Walmart extending closing time to 10 p.m. at most stores
- Biden, Harris call on all US governors to issue 3-month mask mandate
- Trial set for woman charged in connection with Vanessa Guillen’s death
- R. Kelly’s manager charged with making threatening call to theater showing ‘Surviving R. Kelly’