CLEWSITON, Fla. (AP) — Florida sheriff’s deputies are investigating the slaying of a transgender woman whose body was found in her burning car.
Media reports say the Hendry County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the Sept. 4 death of 23-year-old Bee Love Slater in Clewiston, Florida.
The Human Rights Campaign says Slater is at least the 18th transgender woman to be killed in 2019.
Capt. Susan Harrelle declined to tell the Palm Beach Post how Slater died, saying only the killer or a witness would know that.
She said detectives are investigating whether Slater’s gender identity was a motive for the slaying.
Slater’s friend Kenard Wade said Slater had received threats the night she died and she wanted to leave the Lake Okeechobee area to avoid trouble.
- Novato police seek public’s help to find missing 11-year-old
- Take the confusion out of food labels
- Palo Alto couple missing since Valentine’s Day found alive
- Woman believes cold case suspect abducted her in 1989
- Search for missing Palo Alto couple now recovery mission