OAKLAND, Tenn. (KRON) – A dog in Tennessee has apparently become the oldest known living golden retriever in history after celebrating her 20th birthday in April, according to a recent blog post from the GoldHeart Golden Retrievers Rescue.
Her name is August, nicknamed “Augie,” and she lives with her owners Jennifer and Steve Hetterscheidt.
She turned 20 on April 24.
The Hetterscheidts said Augie was previously placed in two homes before they adopted her when she was 14.
“They figured that most people wouldn’t want such an elderly golden, but they had no idea of the upcoming journey they would be on with Augie,” the rescue group wrote. “They’ve taken her on RV trips all around the country, she’s got several canine and feline siblings, and she gets to play fetch in the pool.
According to GoldHeart, Augie celebrated this big birthday with a dog-friendly carrot cake and some quality time with her golden retriever siblings, Sherman, Belle, and Bruce.
Despite Augie’s age, Jennifer Hetterscheidt said her pet is still “surprisingly healthy,” and although she is a bit shaky upon first waking up, Augie can still move around well and enjoys daily walks around the yard.
The average lifespan of a golden retriever is between 10 and 12 years.
You can read more about Augie’s life here.
- Deputies to cite those not wearing masks in West Hollywood; 1st offense carries $300 fine
- Oakland Zoo at risk of closing for good due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Some airlines increase capacity ahead of holiday weekend despite surge in US coronavirus cases
- Burlingame native released from Minor League Baseball team after season canceled
- Video: Florida police laugh about shooting rubber bullets