SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) — The amount of COVID-19 testing in the United States should double over the next several weeks, Dr. Anthony Fauci said Saturday.
Dr. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-disease expert, said the U.S. should increase testing by twice as much and said he thinks it will be possible during a COVID-19 update webcast by the National Academy of Sciences.
He noted that he was talking about diagnostic testing of the virus, not antibody testing.
The U.S. is conducting about 1.5 to 2 million tests per week, Fauci estimated.
“We probably should get up to twice that as we get into the next several weeks and I think we will,” Dr. Fauci said.
Latest News Headlines:
- California loosens restrictions as new COVID-19 guidance issued
- Search continues for hit-and-run driver who ran over 24-year-old woman at Oakland protest
- March held for 22-year-old man shot, killed by Vallejo police officer
- San Francisco school introduces new athletic program for girls
- Cannabis industry still recovering after hit hard by looters