The FDA has recalled certain tattoo inks that are contaminated with bacteria.
According to the recall issued Wednesday, consumers, tattoo artists, and retailers are advised not to use the following inks after tests determined they were contaminated with “bacteria harmful to human health”:
- Scalpaink SC, Scalpaink PA, and Scalpaink AL basic black tattoo inks manufactured by Scalp Aesthetics (all lots)
- Dynamic Color – Black tattoo ink manufactured by Dynamic Color Inc (lots 12024090 and 12026090)
- Solid Ink-Diablo (red) tattoo ink manufactured by Color Art Inc. (dba Solid Ink) (dba Antone’s Ink) (lot 10.19.18)
Health officials said the contaminated inks can cause infections and lead to serious health injuries when injected into the skin during the tattooing process “since there is an increased risk of infection any time the skin barrier is broken.”
Symptoms of tattoo ink-associated infections include the appearance of rashes or lesions consisting of red papules in areas where the contaminated ink has been applied.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- MAN ARRESTED IN MOUNTAIN VIEW FOR RAPE OF GIRL HE MET ONLINE
- CONCORD BOWLING ALLEY TARGETED IN ARMED ROBBERY
- FAMILY REMEMBERS FREMONT TEEN KILLED BY SUSPECTED DRUNK DRIVER
- YOUTH CHURCH LEADER ARRESTED IN SARATOGA FOR CHILD PORN
- POSSIBLE WATERFRONT BALLPARK DEAL FOR OAKLAND A’S APPROVED