Car bursts into flames when driver uses hand sanitizer while smoking

National

ROCKVILLE, Maryland (KRON) – A man was burned and his car destroyed after his smoking a cigarette and using hand sanitizer led to an explosion.

According to the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service, it happened Thursday night in a shopping center in Rockville.

Officials said the driver was smoking a cigarette and then began to use hand sanitizer.

That’s when the sanitizer ignited and set the car on fire, according to authorities.

The man was treated for minor burns that are said to be non-life threatening.

The car was a total loss.

Fire officials are reminding everyone that using hand sanitizer and smoking cigarettes in unventilated areas like a car make for a bad combo.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Latest News

More News