SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) – Just when you thought you were going to be $125 richer.
Sorry, you may not be getting that Equifax data breach settlement money after all.
The Federal Trade Commission says so many people are asking for cash payments linked the 2017 data breach that there may not be enough money for everyone.
As part of a $300 million settlement, people impacted by the data breach were offered free credit monitoring or a check for up to $125.
But because of the high response, there simply isn’t enough money to go around.
The FTC is suggesting people choose free credit monitoring rather than a $125 check.
Latest News Headlines:
- Trump signs executive order to ban TikTok in 45 days
- Lawmakers try to find ways to slow spread of COVID-19 amid spike in cases
- Half Moon Bay fishermen finding huge bluefin tuna close to shore
- 3 Raiders opt out of upcoming NFL season
- Federal judge orders ICE to provide COVID-19 testing to all detainees at California facility