LOS ANGELES (AP) — A representative for John Singleton says the director will be laid to rest in a small, private ceremony on Monday in Los Angeles.
The representative says Singleton’s family is planning a public memorial for a later date. No further details were released.
The “Boyz N the Hood” director died Monday at age 51, days after suffering a stroke. Singleton became the youngest best director Oscar nominee for the film. He was also nominated for writing its screenplay.
Singleton went on to direct numerous other films, including “Poetic Justice” and an installment in the “Fast and Furious” franchise, as well as several television episodes.
The director has been praised by contemporaries for blazing a trail for black filmmakers.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- NOTORIOUS CA KILLER ACCUSED OF BEHEADING, TORTURING CELLMATE
- U.S. OFFICIALS: ARMY VET’S PLAN TO BOMB NAZI RALLY IN SOCAL FOILED
- BUS DRIVER WHO PLEADED GUILTY TO RAPE OF GIRL GETS NO JAIL TIME
- VIDEO: KILLER WHALES ATTACK GRAY WHALE CALF IN MONTEREY BAY
- WATCH: GIRL HIDES TO AVOID CAR FOLLOWING HER IN VACAVILLE