(CNN NEWSOURCE) — “Joker” just broke a box office record by becoming the highest grossing R-rated movie ever at the worldwide box office.
The comic book film focuses on the origins of the Batman villain, starring Joaquin Phoenix.
Warner Brothers confirmed Friday the movie has made roughly $788- million worldwide.
Critics were nervous when the film released over its depiction of violence, which sparked some security concerns.
The Warner Brothers film, which like CNN is owned by WarnerMedia, already has some talking Oscar buzz.
- Minnesota governor apologizes for arrest of CNN crew
- Live updates: George Floyd protests grow across the U.S.
- Protest turns violent in San Jose following death of George Floyd
- White House on lockdown as protest breaks out nearby
- Businesses in downtown Oakland board up in anticipation of protests