Sen. Kamala Harris on Monday dished her thoughts on the legalization of marijuana.
In an appearance on New York City-based radio show “The Breakfast Club,” Harris laughed when asked to respond to people who think she’s against legalizing the recreational use of marijuana.
“Half my family’s from Jamaica… are you kidding me” she responded. “And I inhaled…”
She also shared she tried weed — a joint specifically — in college.
Would Harris smoke again if the federal government legalized the recreational use of marijuana?
She replied, “Listen, I think it gives a lot of people joy. And we need more joy.”
Harris’ stance aligns herself with a growing movement in the Democratic party and some Republicans to legalize marijuana.
Right now the DEA classifies marijuana as a Schedule I substance, in the same group as heroin.
Schedule II drugs include cocaine and methamphetamine.
- FALLING CONCRETE SHUTS DOWN RICHMOND-SAN RAFAEL BRIDGE
- GAS LINE EXPLOSION SPARKS MASSIVE FIRE IN SAN FRANCISCO
- FDA: DEADLY CANCEL LINKED TO BREAST IMPLANTS
- VIDEO: MAN STOPS ON BUSY HWY, SHOOTS SCHOOL BUS DRIVER IN HEAD
- MAN THREW METH-FUELED ‘DEATH PARTY’ FOR HIS WIFE BEFORE SHE DIED