(AP) – A Minnesota man has been sentenced to three years in prison after he said he threw a “death party” for his wife and gave her methamphetamine that killed her.
Fifty-nine-year-old Duane Johnson of Searles was sentenced Monday after pleading guilty in June to criminal neglect. Sixty-nine-year-old Debra Johnson was found dead in their home in January after her husband removed her from a nursing home.
The Mankato Free Press reports Judge Robert Docherty approved the sentence that was proposed in the plea deal.
Johnson was given credit for 201 days already served in jail.
Johnson maintained that his wife wanted to die. An autopsy showed she died of methamphetamine toxicity.
A third-degree murder charge was dismissed as part of the plea deal.
Latest News Headlines:
- KRON4 Morning Buzz: The NFL deliberates longer seasons
- Man found alive in Marin County after going missing during hike had a stroke, fell: authorities
- Trump ally Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison
- Weinstein jurors focus on Sciorra as deliberations continue
- USC offers free tuition to families making under $80,000, break for homeowners