(WFLA) - A man accused of giving his ailing wife methamphetamine told authorities he threw her a "death party" before she died.
The Mankato Free Press reported that Duane Arden Johnson, 58, of Searles, Minnesota, was charged with criminal neglect and receiving stolen property after his wife's death on Thursday.
Deputies said Johnson called 911 at about noon to report that his wife, Debra Lynn Johnson, 69, had died.
Officers arrived at the couple's home and found the words “Death Parde God Hell” spray-painted on the front door. A naked Duane Johnson allegedly ran outside and said his wife was dead, then ran back inside to take a bath. He was later found in the bathtub hallucinating and trying to wash white and black “things” from his skin, according to deputies.
Debra Johnson's body was found wrapped in a sheet the top of the stairs, deputies said.
The newspaper reported that Debra had been living in a nursing home, but Duane checked her out days earlier because she wanted to die at home.
Duane Johnson said they took methamphetamine and she stopped taking her medications. They spent their final hours having sex and "rocked out" to their favorite metal band, Quiet Riot.
He said when Debra couldn't eat or drink, he used snow to moisten her mouth, according to the court documcents.
Duane said Debra began having convulsions, but wouldn't let him call police. After she died, Johnson said he washed his wife's body and wrapped her in linen “like the Bible told me to do.”
He said he waited several hours to call 911 because he wanted to make sure she was dead.
A search of their home turned up four rifles, two shotguns and hundreds of rounds of ammunition of several varieties.
Duane Johnson was arrested without incident and was charged with criminal neglect and felony counts of theft and receiving stolen property. His bond was set to $250,000 or $150,000 with conditions.
- FRIENDS FEAR MISSING DALY CITY WOMAN IS IN 'GRAVE DANGER'
- SAN FRANCISCO DOCTOR KILLED BY BOYFRIEND IN MURDER-SUICIDE
- WOMAN UNKNOWINGLY OK'D LIFE SUPPORT TERMINATION FOR STRANGER
- IN RARE FOOD POISONING CASE, STUDENT DIES AFTER EATING LEFTOVERS
- PD: MAN SENT $200K TO BULGARIAN 'CAM GIRL' BEFORE KILLING FAMILY
- Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Police in Chicago suburb of Aurora respond to active shooter situation
- Surprise hailstorm batters the Bay Area
- California may sue Trump over emergency wall declaration
- Travel to Tahoe 'highly discouraged'; I-80 remains closed as snow continues to hit Sierra Nevada