SEATTLE (AP) – Seattle police declared a riot following large demonstrations in the city’s Capitol Hill neighborhood and deployed flash bangs and pepper spray to try to clear an area near where weeks earlier people had set up an “occupied protest zone” that stretched for several blocks.
Via Twitter, police said they had made some arrests Saturday and were “investigating a possible explosive damage” to the walls of the city’s East Precinct police station. Authorities said rocks and bottles were thrown at officers.
More than a dozen people were arrested.
Thousands of protesters had initially gathered peacefully near downtown Seattle on Saturday in a show of solidarity with fellow demonstrators in Portland, Oregon.
Latest News Headlines:
- How Santa Clara County is providing more help for small businesses during the pandemic
- Owner of Lodi Parachute Center speaks after another skydiver dies
- Scottie Pippen’s son, Antron, dies at 33
- Tyrannosaurs may have hunted in packs like wolves, new research shows
- Xbox cloud gaming opens limited beta on PC, Apple