SAN DIEGO, Calif. (AP) — President Donald Trump has hinted that he might extend a 60-day hold on green cards for foreign workers that he ordered to protect American jobs during the coronavirus outbreak.
Analysts predict the number of green cards issued annually will drop from about 1 million to 300,000 if the changes stand.
Critics accuse Trump of using the COVID-19 pandemic as a fig leaf for deep cuts to immigration that he has sought but not been able to get Congress to pass.
Others have said it is an attempt to distract attention from his handling of the pandemic.
Latest News Headlines:
- California schools can reopen in August, September depending on districts
- Advances in DNA tech helping Jennifer Lin cold case detectives in Alameda County
- Black Lives Matter protesters march through downtown L.A., block 101 Fwy
- North Carolina 7-year-old puts on prom for his graduating babysitter
- Santa Clara County calls for volunteers to help track people who may be spreading COVID-19