SEATTLE (CNN) — A Seattle pet owner is warning others to watch their pets closely — this after she said her puppy ingested marijuana while at a popular park.
The moment Cindy Koutnik met her dog “Beddy,” it was love at first sight.
“I just wanted a small dog that I can take places and be my buddy. And that’s what a Cavalier is,” she said.
Sunday afternoon, the two were out on a walk around Green Lake when Beddy started to slow way down.
As soon as Cindy picked her up, Beddy collapsed in her arms.
“And just went limp. And I went ‘Oh my God, this isn’t good,'” Koutnik said.
They rushed back home where Beddy started having tremors. Her head was jerking around and her eyes rolled back in her head.
That’s when Koutnik knew she neded to take her to an animal hospital.
“When the vet called me in about an hour-and-a-half later, she said Beddy’s gonna be okay. She said ‘She’s resting.’ But she said she ingested marijuana. And I’m like ‘What?'”
Vets say Beddy’s health scare happens more than you might think, especially in the legal era of edibles.
As soon as you suspect a problem, it’s important to have your pet checked out right away.
“Because we can induce vomiting, get that poison out of their body and then treat that toxicity. It’s very early if we catch it early enough,” said Dr. Jeb Mortimer with Green Lake Animal Hospital.
Koutnik says she’s angry knowing this is something she now has to worry about when the two are out and about.
“I want people to be aware. People who are taking their dogs or cats or little kids out, be careful. And those people who are partaking in that, please pick up after yourself,” she said.
The vet says there should be no long-lasting symptoms for Beddy. The symptoms usually wear off within 24 hours but that depends on how much the pet consumed.
For live, local news, download the KRONon app. It lets you watch commercial-free the Bay Area’s Local News Station on multiple streaming devices.
- WHY UBER AND LYFT DRIVERS ARE GOING ON STRIKE
- MAN ARRESTED IN RICHMOND FOR ASSAULTING WOMAN
- VIDEO: PRINCE HARRY, MEGHAN MARKLE INTRODUCE BABY BOY
- SAN FRANCISCO BANS CASHLESS STORES
- ILLEGAL DUMPING ON THE RISE IN SAN JOSE